Barnsdale Gardens and Daffodils at Rutland Water

We visited Geoff Hamilton's "Gardeners' World" gardens at Barnsdale on 21 March 2014 after spending an early Spring weekend at the entirely man-made and utterly lovely Rutland Water. Sadly I did not have my best camera with me but the array of different small gardens still provides inspiration many years since Geoff died in 1996. He was for me the best presenter of the BBC programme before or since.

Odd to start with sheep on a gardening blog but they really were the most distinctive ochre and, on a windswept and very cold day, a sight for red eyes.

The double Primula 'Marie Crouse' had a depth of colour that graced the gardens. I have been contemplating major surgery on our front garden rockery for some years and this, in Spring, would be a must should I summon up the energy, time and finances to commit to the project.
I sent away for this purest windflower, Anemone 'White Splendour', on my return home and actually have buds forming already in a pot, the second flowering of the corms, all without any care or attention.  My kind of plant.

Poor resolution on this photograph but a typical view of one of the suburban gardens.

Chionodoxa forbesii' Blue Giant'. I have chionodoxa that seeds itself all over the garden and particularly underneath our beech hedge. The giant form is one I have not got however.


I was once inspired by "Gardeners' World" and Adrian Bloom from Bressingham Gardens to grow conifers and heathers in some numbers. Happily the fashion has changed and with the exception of, I think, "Springwood White" I have none of the latter. Here in combination with a glorious fresh maple they look good.

Rutland Water and different drifts of narcissus on a cold bright day.

The biggest man-made lake in Europe it may be but many of life's supreme delights are hardly natural. We shall return in the Spring armed with camera numero uno.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And remembering .....

Galanthus 'Mighty Atom'