Galanthus plicatus "Diggory"

Discovered in 1993 in a Norfolk garden, Galanthus plicatus 'Diggory' is often described as being instantly recognisable due to its puckered bowl shape, the petals staying in shape throughout the flowering period. It could be considered the ugly duckling of the snowdrop world or the scene-stealer. In my mind it is an undoubted beauty and stands out well in the photograph below set amidst some other classics. The gardeners who found the snowdrop, Rosie Steele and Richard Hobbs, named it after their late son, Diggory, a fitting tribute for they provided us with one of the stars of the winter garden. My original bulb did well last year, as I reported last February, and has again multiplied. I look forward to soon having my own full bowl of this spectacular snowdrop to draw gasps of admiration from visitors ..........


No comments:

Post a Comment

And remembering .....

Galanthus 'Mighty Atom'