Laburnum Arch, Brodsworth Hall, May 16th 2017

One tends to take one's locality for granted. We live nearby the stunning English Heritage property, Brodsworth Hall. We use it as a park, the facility more than paying back the cost of our annual subscription. Over the years we have seen a stupendous improvement in the gardens, from snowdrops in January, massed bedding displays in spring and summer, and throughout the year the gloriously maintained topiary. The gardens are one of only three on the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens to Grade II*. The neglected gardens covering some 15 acres, and in the structure of the 1860s, received funding from the UK's lottery fund in 2002, the restoration initially supposed to take three years but the reality is that there has been continuous work to restore a grandeur I suspect was never quite as wondrous as it is now, despite the size of the 19th century workforce, a number only to be dreamed of by the more streamlined team working there today. The reason of course is that the trees and shrubs have achieved maturity and been shaped to an uniformity unknown in nature. Which leads me to the laburnum arch.

I suspect we visited a week or so before the laburnums fleshed out to their full glory
The formal spring bedding looking splendid to be replaced a few short weeks later with summer plants
Brodsworth Hall Fountain, restored, eye-catching and cascading - not always the case




The first of three of the structures, this Victorian privy was a restored, or rebuilt to be frank, last year

Cutting down the overgrown trees and shrubs revealed to visitors of the house and gardens, the largely 12th century St Michael and All Angels, the vista recreated from an old photograph. If the visit is timed correctly tea and cakes are provided there several times a year and they are always delicious...
Just a glimpse of the house itself viewed from behind the shrubs`clipped to a measured inch of their lives
Different members of the gardening team take responsibility for the choice of bedding plants for spring and summer

The chalet or summer house

9 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous! I adore english gardens, I owe them my love of gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me tell you, I'm also a bit of a fan of your Argentine garden. http://unjardinsubtropical.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, and new to me. A bit of sunshine on a frezing cold day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrible day. Snowing as I type. I intend to post some mote about the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sheer number of garden gems in England is impressive. Thank you for sharing this spectacular example. I loved every picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Huntington Gardens is the closest equivalent I can think of to this kind of beauty (and visiting there involves a 50-minute drive through the always miserable traffic of downtown Los Angeles). The Laburnums sing of an English garden to me. You don't see those here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Los Angeles is not on wish list, Kris, though areas nearby are. I believe we will be visiting New Orleans in the winter however. A heck of a long way I accept but we're trying. We love the US.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. Restauração de Casamento

    ReplyDelete
  9. Friend, this web site might be fabolous, i just like it. chicago med season 5

    ReplyDelete

And remembering .....

Galanthus 'Mighty Atom'