Rhododendron dauricum "Midwinter", 3rd January 2016

I ordered two rhododendrons from the Perth based Glendoick Gardens Centre, one being the Mucronulatum I featured a couple of weeks ago. The second plant is Rhododendron dauricum "Midwinter" and it has just burst into flower. It resides in a temporary pot until the weather improves and I decide on its proper position. The plants were expensive given added tax and postage and there is at least one cheaper source that I should have checked before buying. Age does not endow me with any greater sense. The shrub is a glorious, spectacular sight when mature, and even with my admittedly fine young specimen, the tiny flowers looked good yesterday afternoon in the rain and in close-up with the stamens very prominent.



It will grow to a height of 1.5m and 1.5m in width. The foliage is described as being semi-evergreen, and I could clearly detect an almost eucalyptus-like scent from the purple green leaves. The Chinese have traditionally used the extract for treating chronic tracheitis. The "Midwinter" clone received an RHS Award of Garden Merit in 1984.


No comments:

Post a Comment

And remembering .....

Galanthus 'Mighty Atom'