Galanthus 'Melanie Broughton' & 'Janet'

'Melanie Broughton' stands out in a crowd. I know this because she sits on my display bench surrounded by so called choicer (or rather more expensive) varieties and yet holds her own. Named after the daughter of the owner of Anglesey Abbey, Lord Fairhaven, the snowdrop is large, solid, rounded and has markedly failed to produce progeny, a strange but true snippet of information seeing as the bulb is available for the cost of alpine grit from suppliers. She's a bargain for someone. And she will be planted somewhere more hospitable for the creation of young ones.







There is another woman. 'Janet', who I introduced to you last year, has unlike her aristocratic sister proven remarkably fertile producing triplets. Janet is much more petite than Melanie, with pretty markings.  A choice variety.




5 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures! I wish I had snowdrops in my garden but climate is too hot here for them. Your blog is very nice I discovered it today and I will add it to my list, I have a very deep admiration for british gardens. Greetings from Argentina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many varieties of snowdrops do you have in total, Ian? I'm more aware of the differences on sight than I was when I was first introduced to snowdrops but I'll never keep up with their names.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Number of snowdrops? I have never counted. I have certainly lost some. 'Big Boy' was vigorous last year. I discovered it earlier in the week with a few pale shoots, rotten bulbs and a large pot full of grubs. To answer though, I probably have over a hundred collected from purchases and exchanges. I now restrict acquisitions to those with very distinct features.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. Bulb flies. They are my nemesis as well.
    "I now restrict acquisitions to those with very distinct features". How's that working out? I find that even with a few in the garden I just can't bring myself to say no to new ones offered or special ones for sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One other comment about the bulb flies: I'm never going to re-use compost and intend to re-pot after two years. Some of the late snowdrops are more prone to narcissus fly attack I find. As for distinct features, well I find some of the green streaked and yellow snowdrops do look similar. Steely determination. (And like you I bet I fail.)

      Delete

And remembering .....

Galanthus 'Mighty Atom'