Portmeirion: Fake and Fabulous, 23rd August, 2011

Built between 1925 and 1975, Portmeirion was designed by architect, Sir Clough Williams-Ellis. The village is built in the Italian manner, a fanciful creation envisaged from the outset as a tourist destination and first opened to the public in 1926,  It enjoys an enviable situation with views across the Dwyryd estuary taking in Snowdon on a good day. But it was its base for the cult series "The Prisoner" that proved the lifeblood for the many thousands of tourists who visit there each year.

















Will I return? Well, it's four years since my one and only visit to Portmeirion and I have returned to this lovely area of North Wales every year since then without visiting the place. The surrounding countryside is so ravishing that I can forgo the luxury of Williams-Ellis' creation. And Italy is pretty fabulous in Italy and I visit there most every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And remembering .....

Galanthus 'Mighty Atom'