Doddington Hall: Crocus Heaven

Doddington Hall has just got better and better. They must realise it too for they are open all week. Crocus heaven? so why have I commenced with a Japanese Pink Pussy Willow, Salix gracilistyla 'Mount Aso'? My wife liked it. I liked it. I ordered it.



Doddington has the most wonderful cafe. We got there at 10.30am, the cafe having only opened at 10.00. The restaurant was full, the cafe full and we just snatched a table in the cycle cafe. There's also a recently extended farm shop. I digress. Here's the main course.

Crocuses galore, of varying colours too. All the natural forms in profusion, bees mad for them. Crocus Thomasianus as I have never seen them before.





The Sweet Chestnuts are ancient, blissfully swathed in bulbs right through to early summer.


The combination of late winter or early spring flowers is a remarkable thing.





I also have, of course, to feature one of the the witch-hazels. I noticed they had added new varieties. This specimen was huge.


And in case any reader has not visited, here is the house itself, completed in 1600 and occupied by the same family ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And remembering .....

Galanthus 'Mighty Atom'