Fritillaria meleagris

 Another fritillaria today. I have no idea what happened to our white form of Fritillaria meleagris though I suspect unintelligent weeding accounted for the lot. Like a number of plants I've featured lately they are a member of the lilaceae family and a plant even the uninitiated notice in the garden. The Snakeshead Fritillary is named after the chequered, tessellated  pattern - fritillary means chequered. They flower in light shade in our backgarden and I confess I sometimes mistake their leaves for grasses when I'm tidying up. I have planted some more of the 'Alba' form expecting to see them unmolested in April. There is some variation in the colour. I've posted two images from April 1st though sadly no white one.



No comments:

Post a Comment

And remembering .....

Galanthus 'Mighty Atom'