Tree Lilies: 'Morosini' & Giants of the Border

 A few years ago we returned from a long trip to the continent to see tree lilies towering over the front hedge. The powerful scent hit us immediately we climbed out of the taxi. I'd not appreciated how quickly the bulbs, planted a year previously, would develop to giants. In July my new bulb order arrived and I've had a quandary as to whether or not to let them develop as winter approaches. I need the bulbs to swell out for next year. So I snipped all the buds off except, by omission, 'Morosini', a new variety. 









Not a giant yet and, unlike the mature plants, it required staking but it has a sweet scent, a depth to its colour and a sheen to its petals that lightened up the last day of October. How it will perform next year without time to build up its reserves I have no idea.
















Meanwhile, one I prepared earlier, the second image shows a yellow bloom from one of those giants. And the fragrance envelops the garden. And another from July showing the sheer number of buds.


No comments:

Post a Comment

And remembering .....

Galanthus 'Mighty Atom'